Image Map

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

5 of the Best Face Masks for Congested & Oily Skin


Sometimes there is nothing better than a great face mask. For me, they're the key to a great pamper session to really wind down on a Sunday evening (or any evening really, let's be serious). Not to mention, they are ultimate product when your skin is playing up and messing around. Skin feeling a bit congested or oily? There's a face mask for that. Feeling a bit lackluster or maybe a bit dull in your complexion? Face mask it. Or maybe your skin is feeling dry and dehydrated? There is definitely a face mask for that too.  Face masks have to be one of my favourite skincare products for sure. And one my favourite type of masks are those targeted towards congested and clogged pores, absorbs excess oil and brightens your skin tone (all that fantastic delicious stuff we love...) If you read my last my post about my Morning skincare routine, then y'all already know that my skin can be quite a pesky little things and is quite oily and blemish prone. So a clearing mask is something I use at least once a week as I find they are best way to whip my skin back into shape if it has been feeling a bit off. But first, what makes a good face mask for congested, oily and acne prone skin?



When looking for a mask to deal with congestion and blemish prone skin, there are few common things you want the mask to address including (but not limited to): 
  • Excessive oil production 
  • Clogged pores
  • Dull tired Skin 
  • And of course - blemishes 
With these goals in mind, there a few key ingredients that you should be looking for in your masks to achieve this such as:
  • Sulfar - acts as a mild antiseptic that helps disinfect skin and promotes exfoliation of dead skin cells that lead to clogged pores 
  • Clay and/or charcoal - acts like a magnet to draw out impurities deep in the pores while also absorbing excess oil. Clay is usually listed in the ingredients as kaolin or White China Clay.
  • Salicylic Acid- is a BHA that acts as a exfoliant to go deep into the pores and dissolve dead skin cells that clogs up our pores. It can however be slightly drying. 
  • Also look for hydrating and soothing ingredients such as glycolic acid (also a gentle chemical exfoliator), Aloe, Rosehip Oil or jojoba. This insures that the mask doesn't completely dry out your skin and reverse the process by triggering even more sebum production! 
All of the masks I am about to mention include at least one of the above ingredients if not more. I find these work best for my acne prone skin type - but as we all know, not one skin type is the same! Below are my top 5 picks of the bunch.

1. Origins Clear Improvement Charcoal Mask
I love Origins masks and this has to be my absolute favourite of the bunch- I even spotted Ashley Benson on her Snapchat saying how much she loved it (if it was sponsored or not that is a different story though...) I have sung extensive praises for this mask on my blog many the time before (you can view my full review here) and this is my go-to mask when my skin is in need of a real good clean out. This mask retails for $39.00 and contains White China Clay and Active charcoal that work to declog pores and absorb excess oil. I use this mask to combat congestion and especially when my skin is feeling extra oily towards the end of the week. Skin is left feeling more refined, brighter and just cleannnnn (you all know the feeling!)

2. Dermalogica Charcoal Rescue Masque*
This mask was only released early February but it has already reached top 5 status and is one of the most reached for masks in my collection. Containing unique Activated Binchotan Charcoal to absorb toxins, impurities and excess sebum and Sulfur to promote cell turnover for brighter skin, my stressed out skin is left feeling calmed and visibly clearer but most importantly not irritated or dried out. But what I love about this mask is that it also acts as a gentle exfoliator when rinisng it off - what's not to love? The one downside for me is that I am not a huge fan of the scent, however it isn't a big deal considering the amazing things that it does for my skin.

3. Aesop Parsley Seed Cleansing Mask
This is an oldie but a goodie. Aesop can do no wrong in my opinion and this mask is no exception. I have been using this mask for what feels like years and years. I think it may have been one of the first more pricer masks I ever bought when I first started really getting into skincare (thank you Lily Pebbles!) and my skin has loved it ever since. The scent of the mask is definitely a little something. I think it is the Parsley seed oil and evening primrose but it is a scent that you either really like or really don't. Besides that, this mask is fantastic for healing and treating blemishes and decongesting the skin. This contains kaoiln but also contains Rosehip Oil and Aloe Vera which I find work well together to draw out impurities in the skin without leaving it feeling dried out and tight AND is actually quite soothing, which I found quite surprising for a clay based mask. I highly recommend this!

4. Clinique Acne Solutions Oil-Control Cleansing Mask
This Clinique mask is clay based with Salicylic Acid as its active ingredient. It works to heal existing blemishes, prevent new ones and mop up the oil slick that is sitting on your skin. I love this mask as I find it  is a quick fix for problem skin and blemishes are reduced if not gone by the following day. However, I have a tendency to leave masks on a tad longer than I should, aka the usual 20 minutes and this mask recommends leaving it for 5 minutes, so it's definitely not one for lounging around and watching Netflix in. I find if left on for too long it can start to irritate the skin a bit but it's nothing to be too worried about. It is however also a bit drying so I usually follow this mask up with some hydrating facial mists and Rosehip Oil.

5. Boscia Luminizing Black Mask
This mask is a bit more of a fun one and not quite as heavy duty as the others. I like to use this mid-week when my skin is in need of a little pick me up but doesn't quite need a clay or charcoal face mask (yet...) This is a peel-off that mask that works to minimize the appearance of pores and reveal healthy, glowing skin. I find this also helps with the texture and tone of my skin. It is smoother and definitely more even - plus I love peeling this off, there is something just so satisfying about it!

Honorable  Mention: Glamglow Supermud Clearing Treatment Mask
I've included this Glamglow face mask as an honorable mention because I do love this mask (very much so) and didn't want to finish my post without mentioning it at all. But the reason why this doesn't quite make my top 5 is the price. Here in Australia Glamglow Supermud Clearing Treatment Mask retails for approx $98.00 and it comes in a teeny tiny 34g jar - and that my friends makes a very pricey face mask for not a lot of it. It does however work wonders on the skin. It contains acne loving ingredients such as kaolin, Salicylic Acid, Charcoal, Glycolic Acid, Eucalyptus and Mandelic Acid - but it is wayyyyy too dang pricey for my liking. However, if you are willing to shell out the big bucks for not a very large amount of product I say go for it, it is a fantastic mask for acne prone and congested skin.

I hope this helps you out when choosing a mask for your skin when it is feeling out out of shape! What are some of your favourite masks? Have you tried any of these?

Chantalle x

*please note, I am in no means a skincare professional. Everything I have learnt about acne and blemish prone skin is based off trial and error and my own experiences with my own skin. 


25 comments:

  1. Masks are skin saviours! I've been hearing so many good things about the Dermalogica one! I've been meaning to get my hands on the Aesop one for soooo long but I keep end up getting others and can't justify buying it haha :P

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dermalogica mask is awesome, I highly recommend that you try it out. Girllll you need that Aesop mask in your life I seriously have no regrets buying it, I'm already on my second tube! xx

      Delete
  2. I've tried the origins charcoal mask but it didn't really work out for my skin, I do love the sound of the Aesop mask though. I usually love a good skincare recommendation by Lily.

    www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That is unfortunate because it is one of favourite masks for sure. Definitely try the Aesop one it is fantastic - besides, when has Lily ever led us astray with a bad product!! xx

      Delete
  3. Loved this! I will have to try out some of these masks I have the glam glow and I love it but as you mentioned it is very pricey. I love the sound of the Aesop mask & Origins ones.

    Nicole xx | www.nicolesbeautybabble.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! Yep, you definitely need to give them a try! xx

      Delete
  4. I love face masks! I've been trying out fresh made masks to make at home for a change and it's been really fun! Looking forward to trying the Dermalogica Charcoal Mask though, it looks divine!

    Kate | themintedblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I've never really tried home made ones before, I should give that a go. Yep you definitely need to try the Dermalogica one, it is amazing! x

      Delete
  5. I have a sample of the new Dermalogica Mask! I think it won't work for me because my skin is more on the dry side but think it will be perfect for the bf who is on the oily side! Great mask picks! <3

    Tahana
    www.tahanalee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you're saying! I think you should still give it a go I didn't find it too drying myself and it is great for exfoliating dry dead skin cells. Thanks Tahana! xx

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love the Origins mask ! So glad you do too. Though all of these masks are aimed to achieve a similar purpose, it's interesting to see the different scents, textures and types come from different brands. Might look into Aesop's one when I run out of Origins :p

    ~Weng Tarte palettes have seriously been drawing me in lately! I love the design of this one as it looks like a compact and feature some awesome neutral hues, thanks for the review!
    ~Weng wengiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely interesting! I do love the Origins one, but the Aesop one is great in a different sorta way! x

      Delete
  7. I couldn't agree more with the Aesop and Boscia offering. In fact, I'm just about to go apply the Boscia mask. I love peeling it off. It sounds so weird, but it just takes me back to my childhood of peeling glue off my hands after art class. xx
    Celina | The Celution | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so much fun isn't it!!! Plus it helps that it is a great mask as well! x

      Delete
  8. I'm a big fan of the Origins Mask, but I really like the sound of the Aesop one. I've never tried anything from Aesop before xx

    Gemma ♥ Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aesop face masks are great way to try out the brand if you have yet to try any of their products! I would highly recommend this mask! xx

      Delete
  9. I've recently tried the Origins Overnight mask which I like, so the charcoal mask sounds like a good option to try too! The Boscia mask sounds so interesting as well :)

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both masks are fabulous! Origins really nail the whole face mask thing, there has yet to be a face mask from them that I have tried that I haven't liked! xx

      Delete
  10. loved reading this post because all these products seem to target my skin type! I don't generally use masks because I feel like they can take up some time.. but I think i need to encourage myself to incorporate some of these into my weekly routine! Will definately try and find the origin mask and i looovvee aesop so i'm wiling to give that a go aswell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Face masks are really great for oily and combination skin, especially if you find that you suffer from the odd breakout or three. I highly recommend giving any (or all) of these masks a go! Give your self a pamper night at least once a week and your skin will thank you for it! xx

      Delete
  11. That Parsley Seed mask sounds good enough to eat!

    M + K
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to love that Clinique mask, they no longer seem to stock it on their website though I'm not sure if it's been replaced or no longer exists. I recently picked up the Pore Refining mask as a substitute and I find that works really well too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame, I did purchase mine at Sephora when I was in the US late last year. I haven't tried the other mask though, might add that next to my list! x

      Delete