Monday, March 18, 2013
It has been over about a week since Future Music Festival here in Sydney, but ever since I have been practically OBSESSED with this woman and her lady in red look. Having seen her in the flesh, I can say she is definitely a sexy senoRita *swoon* (and an amazing singer I might as well add...). Many have said she has copied the looks of Gwen Stefani and Rihanna, but I think her trademark red lips teamed with cat-eye eyeliner and glowing skin suit her to the tee. Here's how to get her look:
Step 1: Luminous and Sun-kissed skin - Most looks that Rita Ora sports screams the 'sun-kissed glowing from within' thing that most Brits, well, don't have and many of us mortals die to re-create. Rita has been noted to use Shimmer Brick compact in Bronze by Bobbi Brown for giving her highlighted skin. She also uses it as a an eye shadow and blusher. You can achieve her glow that rivals pregnant women by using Nars Illuminator in Copacabana.
Step 2: Luscious Black Liner - I practically envy Rita's liner. It's always so dark, thick and lovely and frames her brown eyes nicely. Go for a waterproof liner in black that boasts stay power, such as Stila's stay all day waterproof liquid eye liner. Keep the eye shadow neutral to compliment the statement liner and lips.
Step 3: Fire red engine lips- And finally to top off her look, stand out red lips. Rita usually wears varying shades of red or berry lippy but her weapon of choice is usually MAC Ruby Woo or Lady Danger. I also adore her red lips, but who doesn't love a good red lip.
Sunday, March 3, 2013
My most recent search had been to find a hand cream that I could use before bed. Something thick and hydrating but not too sticky, something that smelt deliciously sweet but not too sickening. That's when I stumbled across this little gem. I love all Burt's Bess products that I have tried, but this hand cream is my newest love.
As soon as I twisted open the lid on the glass jar I knew this would be a hit. True to its name, the cream smells just like bananas but more on the banana milkshake or smoothie side. It's definitely sweet but not so much that it makes you cringe. The jar is a decent size and I assume it will last me quite a while as the consistency is quite thick meaning I only need to use a tiny bit.
Ever since I have bought this, I have used it every night and sometimes when I am about to head out, and I've only made a teeny tiny dent in it. It does take some time to sink in but that's what makes it perfect for night time use. I don't have extremely dry hands but I feel that there has been difference since I have started using this.
This retails for about $17 in Australia and can be purchased in places like Priceline or Myer. I think the price is reasonable considering the size of the product and how little you need to use for it to be effective. When I finish this (if I ever finish this!) I will definitely re-purchase. It also comes in an almond and milk smell/flavour. I usually love almonds, and I am a devote to almond milk, but that one just didn't do it for me, the smell reminded me of medicine for some weird reason and really do not want to feel sick before bed! This little baby has found a new home on my bed side table (for now), well at least until I feel the need to search and buy another one! Ahh that pesky beauty product addiction!
What beauty products are you constantly in search for? Have you tried this baby, what are your opinions? Comment below!
Saturday, March 2, 2013
I seriously cannot believe that February is done and dusted and it's March already - how quick is this year going! February was not only my birthday month (still not use to being 20) but also when I went to to the Philippines for the first time since I was 6 and also the start of my last year of my media degree. This month I bought a truck load of different products, but these are the ones which I found myself grabbing the most. So drum roll please ladies and gents, here goes my first monthy favourites post!
1. Lanolips 101 Ointment- This is hailed by many big names in beauty as one of Australia's best products, and I am going to have to agree. This lip ointment is medical grade and made out of lanolin. This baby is great for chapped lips, cuticles, dry skin and much more. I will probably using this a lot more when winter rolls around.
2. Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation- I just recently bought this foundation but I am already in love. It is light enough to use during the day but covers redness and imperfections. I feel that lasts quite well with a primer and when applied with my buffing brush.
3. Burt's Bees Beeswax and Banana Hand cream- I will soon be uploading a review on this gem, but let me just say it smells good enough to eat and works incredibly well as a before bed hand cream.
4. Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette- I have already done a review on this palette here but throughout the month this has easily become my favourite palette. I've used it almost everyday and usually in combination with my Naked 2. The colours are just superb to use on a daily basis.
5. Oh Lola! by Marc Jacobs perfume- I am huge fan of everything Marc Jacobs but this perfume has recently become my fave. In my opinion it is much nicer than the original Lola and contains woody and vanilla notes while being fruity and floral all at once.
6. Nak Dry Klean Dry Shampoo- My hair is prone to become oily after 2 days and is quite annoying to wash all the time. This dry shampoo is by far the best I've used so far and doesn't leave my hair feeling gross and powdery after it has been brushed through.
7. Benefit Ooh La Lift under-eye brightener- I've had this for quite awhile but I have found myself reaching for this more regularly this month. I blame late nights and early starts! But this does work quite well with concealer to brighten the eye area
8. Benefit Porefessional balm- This month I have been having quite some issues with my already problematic skin (I'm quite acne prone). I have been getting strange little bumps around my cheeks resulting in my make-up not sitting well. This balm has done wonders to fill in my pores and hide those pesky bumps.
What were your favourite products this month?
Friday, March 1, 2013
So funny story, I nearly missed my flight out of Australia all because of you guessed it, duty free shopping! I don't know how it happened, but somehow my mum and I spent over an hour in the perfume section trying on various perfumes (it could only happen to us really). While I was purchasing these two babies at the counter they were calling out my mum and I over the PA to board the plane, and my GOD did we freak out. I've never ran so fast in my life, hand carry luggage whacking everyone behind me all the way to the boarding gates - but whatever. I bought these two because they are my absolute faves, they smell almost the same but I DO NOT CARE. So worth almost missing my plane (kind of ...).
My next purchase was Maybelline Baby Lips. I bought these because one, they're not very heavy and two, they are bloody cheap there! In Australia I think the retail for about $6 (not 100% sure) but in the Philippines I think these were less than $2 - so pretty damn cheap in my opinion. I did snap up a few more in these two shades, colour Berry Crush and Baby Pink Glow (I'm not too fond of the others) so hopefully I won't need to buy anymore in the near future.
Next is my MAC purchases. I will start off by saying I didn't own many MAC products previously, simply because they are pretty pricey here in Australia and I always feel a little intimidated by the MAC girls at my local counters. Being intimidated is more than enough to stop me from buying something, stupid I know but I HOPE I am not the only one. Most of the products I bough were a result of getting my make-up done by the guys at the counter. Here's what I bought:
Fix+ skin refresher and finishing mist- This spray is meant to be kinda like a setting mist and face primer all in one. It should be used before and after applying make-up to keep foundation look fresh and anti-cakey throughout the day. I've used it a few times already and really think it does make a difference.
Mineralize tinted lip balm in Rosy Romance- This wasn't on my list, but I bought this because I've always wanted to try out MAC lip balms. I like the colour, especially for winter.
Studio Fix Foundation powder in NC 20 and NW 20- I've been dying to get these for quite awhile now. I bought both NC and NW because my skin colour tends to vary with the seasons. In summer, I do have a much more pinky red tone, whereas in winter my face is much paler, but generally I am always pretty pale. There is a significant difference between the NC and NW colours and I will do a post in the future highlighting the differences.
Prep and Prime BB cream in light- Bought this simply because I love BB creams and trying different ones from various brands. I have yet to use this yet but I am extremely excited to see how it goes.
Face and Body Foundation- I've heard great things about this. I will probably wear this more in the evening or when I go out somewhere as I am not really into the heavy face make-up during the day, but I think this will turn out to be a great product.
So there you have it, my beauty buys while I was in holidays! Do you buy a lot of beauty products when you go overseas? Do you have any funny duty free stories? Comment below!