Image Map

Saturday, July 26, 2014

The Product Round Up | Dry Shampoo


I still remember the very first day I tried dry shampoo and let's just say it didn't end quite as I planned. I know I can't be the only one who bought dry shampoo, tried it and was left completely baffled (or it could just be me, you never know ...) Not only was I completely mind blown on how to use it properly, I had no idea which to choose. Most of the time I ended up with white roots, hair that was still oily after application or that hair that felt seriously disgusting and possibly worse than what I started with. I was convinced that dry shampoo was some evil beauty hoax, created only to make me believe there was hope for my gross second day hair. But since then, I've learned the (vital) importance of shaking the can well, spraying at least 30cm away from roots and hair parts to maintain my normal hair colour (bye white hair!) and rubbing it in gently. With all that tried and tested knowledge under my belt I have created a selection of my trusty favourites, and others that aren't so suited to the dry shampoo game and I will gladly never buy again.



Evo Water Killer Dry Shampoo
I brought this dry shampoo with when I went to Melbourne back in February and sadly the spray somehow broke. I have no idea how but I barely used any of the bottle before it decided to give up on me, which is so sad because I think this was about $29 (pricey I know) but it did work really well. Not too much of a fan of the scent as it was pretty mild but it left my hair feeling really soft and is great for sensitive scalps

Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk 
Before trying this dry shampoo I had previously tried Klorane's dry shampoo with nettle because I have oily hair though a lot of people recommended trying the one with oat milk especially if I used dry shampoo a lot. I found this version to be a lot more gentle with hair, it left it feeling soft and didn't leave with too much residue. The scent is quite average, it smells fresh and doesn't linger too much. This is definitely a good dry shampoo for frequent use.

Garnier Pure Volume 
I feel like I don't have very much to say about this dry shampoo other than the fact I don't like it. I had to use a lot of it for it to work and for such a small can meant I finished it rather quickly too. I feel like it left a lot of residue on my hair and it would feel a bit sticky. Definitely not a fan of this one.

Batiste Clean & Classic Original 
This brand is probably one of the most popular in dry shampoo land and one of the more affordable options with a lot of variations to choose from. The first Batitse dry shampoo I tried was the XXL volume and I gotta say I was not impressed at all. It left my hair feeling sticky and gross and instead of prolonging washing my hair it left me wanting to wash it even more. But I thought to myself, don't judge the brand based on one bad experience and opted to try a plain and simple version next. I am currently using this at the moment and I have to say it's so much better than the other version I tried. Like the name suggests, it's very basic, has a fresh clean scent and needs to be brushed through the hair to rid of the white residue. I don't love it but I don't hate it either. 

John Frieda Luxurious Volume  
While writing this post I noticed a lot of dry shampoos also add volume and texture to your hair, which is fine if that's what you're after but I also noticed that dry shampoos that did that did very little in terms of getting rid of my oily hair. I don't know about any one else but I use dry shampoo so I don't have to wash my hair as often, especially because my hair does get quite oily. So I find a lot of the volumising and texturising dry shampoos are not suited for my second day hair. This dry shampoo by John Frieda is an example of that. While it is a great product, I don't like it as a dry shampoo and use it more when I want to add texture or volume to my hair if it's flat.

Toni & Guy Cleanse Dry Shampoo 
I've raved about this in one of my empties posts - it's easily one of my favourites of the lot and the only one that I have re-purchased. This leaves the least amount of white residue without me having to work it through my hair and has THE NICEST SCENT. I have this thing for the scent of Toni & Guy products, from what I've tried they all smell the same but they all smell dang good. I've read a lot that some people don't like it but I really really do. Call me weird but I love sniffing my hair after I've used one of their products. It has a really fresh smell, kinda floral and a little bit fruity at the same time (and the more I describe it the weirder it sounds ...) For it's price I would say that this is a really good dry shampoo the only downside is that I felt like I was using a lot of it in one go (I finished one bottle really quickly), which probably means that you have to use a lot to get some form of result.

Bumble and Bumble Pret-a-Powder
Definitely one of the more pricer ones and looking back, isn't really a dry shampoo (and it does say this on the bottle, so silly me). I would say this, like the John Frieda is more suited as a texturising spray and less as a dry shampoo. In saying that, like all Bumble and Bumble products this is of great quality and I still use this often to give my hair some lift. The scent of this is quite nice and it's a little bit fun to use as it is a powder. However it is a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Like I knew it was small, but it is reallllyyyyy small and not worth the price if you ask me.

Do you use dry shampoo? What is your favourite?

Chantalle x 

18 comments:

  1. I have heard so much about Klorane! I havn't had much luck with dry shampoos, not that I have tried a lot..

    TheConscienceFund

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give on of their dry shampoos a go! x

      Delete
  2. I've only ever used Batiste because it's the most easily accessible (and for some reason it just appears in my bathroom... not complaining!), and from the sounds of things paying more doesn't necessarily mean you get a better product xx Rebecca - UK fashion blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, they have such a large range I get bit overwhelmed with choices. Good point there!

      Delete
  3. Yep I love the T&G so good!
    Madeleine, The Daily Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of dry shampoo because I haven't tried one that worked. Most left my hair feeling stiff and uncomfortable. But the Klorane and Toni&Guy one sound good!

    Sheri | Behind The Frames

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite good, definitely my favourite out of the bunch! x

      Delete
  5. Shame you're not a fan of good old batise, I personally love it and think it does the job great!! x

    Beauty Soup || UK Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to try the Toni and Guy one! I've been using the Aussie volume on recently and it's so good in the sense that it leaves NO white roots and it gives my hair some serious volume, but it makes it feel gross, it's so annoying as it would be perfect otherwise!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, give it a try! That is such a shame because that one sounds so good! x

      Delete
  7. I recently went on holiday and ended up using a lot of Klorane hair care I'm pretty much in love with the brand at the moment so I've certainly added the dry shampoo to my wish list it sounds really lovely plus I think it's time I stepped out of my Batiste bubble I always repurchase it even though it's not amazing force of habit xx

    http://rinicawrites.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Love Klorane hair products so you should definitely try there dry shampoo it s quite good! x

      Delete
  8. The Toni & Guy one is easily my favourite one now! Great post and photo hun xx

    Sarah | More Than Adored

    ReplyDelete