Image Map

Friday, August 4, 2017

KKW Beauty Liquid Creme Lipsticks | Are they worth the hype?


If you are a long time reader of my blog, you may have spotted my post sometime last year about my First Impressions on the Kylie Cosmetics Lip Kits. And if you did happen to read that post, you would know that I wasn't 100% sold on the quality of the Kylie Lip Kits for their fairly expensive price point. But yet here we are again, with me reviewing more Kylie products - something I definitely didn't think I would be doing again any time soon! Somehow (with a willpower unbeknownst to me) I have managed to avoid every single one of Kylie's new launches since the first Lip Kit drop. I just about nearly gave up at the Koko Kollection launch though, and basically was foaming at the mouth when I first laid my eyes on her Kylighters - but guys I bloody resisted because I just was not convinced on the quality for the hefty price tag. Sure they looked hella cute, but they were hella more expensive than they were worth IMO.

But you already know, I damn well could not resist the KKW x Kylie Cosmetics Creeme Liquid Lipstick Collaboration. Deep down, a tiny part of me was holding on hope for a Kimmy Collab, and you best believe that when I first spotted those promo posters (you know the ones!) on Insta and Twitter one morning, I started rounding up all the dollars I could find, because ya girl was about to drop whatever amount necessary to get that collection in my hands. Yes, 14 months later, I can proudly (or maybe sadly...) say that I am STILL just as obsessed with Kimmy K - and mother of god I needed this collab in my life. But did these Liquid Lipsticks live up to all their hype? Did I waste my time (and money) by giving Kylie Cosmetics a second chance? Read on for my first impressions and swatches of the KKW Collection...



It came at no surprise that any Kim Kardashian West lipstick collection would be all about the nude lip. I mean besides some certain assets of her, it is what Kimmy is famous for. And if I am being honest, I wasn't complaining. A nude or pinky lip is almost always my lip colour of choice except on the rare occasions that I happen to wear red, so I knew these babies would slide on in nicely with my current collection - you can never have too many nudes right, ladies?

At face value, the 4 liquid lipsticks in this collection look very very similar, but those with a trained eye will know no two nude colours are really the same - and these 4 are definitely different from each other. But what I also love about the collection is how all the lipsticks are variations of Kim's name - Kim, Kimberly, Kiki and Kimmie - and I wouldn't expect anything less from Kim, it's just so fitting to make it all about her

And the packaging, don't even get me started - I am still swooning! Each lipstick comes housed in a frosted glass tube with Kylie's signature drip details in millennial pink around the opening, and if I am not mistaken the applicator/lid of the tube is metal instead of the regular plastic. Call me biased, but it just feels so luxe, so very classy, and so very Kim, and I much prefer it over the cheap plastic feel that my other Lip Kits and glosses come in. The packaging itself almost makes it worth the hype for me - it is that pretty!


These 4 lipsticks are a creme finish, and before I received my package I had heard that they had a similar feel to a normal bullet lipstick and don't dry down on the lips. However, I have only ever tried Kylie's matte liquid lipstick formulas so I had no expectations on what these would be like.

The KKW Beauty website itself claims; "The KKW Crème Liquid Lipstick has sheer to medium coverage that can be built based on your desired lip intensity. This unique créme formula contains moisturizing and hydrating ingredients that glide on for a luxurious and creamy finish. Gives a natural sheen while feeling ultra lightweight on the lips." 

Overall,  I found the lighter shades (Kim and Kimberly) to apply quite sheer and a bit streaky on the lips, requiring a few layers of application before getting a more opaque intense finish. The other two shades were not as finicky and only needed to be layered on 2 or 3 times. As for the formula, I am not sure I am exactly a fan (matte lover right here) but I definitely didn't hate it. It doesn't feel sticky at all, but just like the website describes, incredibly creamy and lightweight. That being said, these don't have great longevity so don't expect these to last a full 8-hour work day or a night out. I did have to constantly reapply after eating / drinking or every few hours or so but that is to be expected with a creme finish lipstick!

Top to bottom: Kimberly, Kim, Kiki and Kimmie

But what about the shades? Kimberly the lightest shade of the four, is a true neutral nude with a slightly pinky brown undertone that would suit a lot of different skin tones. On me, this looks quite brown against my pale skin, but when actually on my lips is a lot lighter and more pink. Out of the four this is one of my top two shades, and I would love this one as a matte lipstick!

Kim is much more peachy and looks gorgeous on my skin, but when applied to my lips is slightly neon and a bit too pastel peach for my liking. There is no doubt that it is a beautiful pink, just not something I would reach for often and found this one needed to be layered on the lips a lot.

Kiki to me is a more coral sort of pink, and not something I would necessarily class as a 'nude' shade as it is so bright. But it is definitely pretty, and really nice shade come spring time.

Last is Kimmie, which is my top pick of the four. It is a darker more rosy sort of pink nude that is still quite bright on me, but very wearable and a very natural shade. I found myself reaching for this one the most and actually really loved this layered on top of MAC Patisserie lipstick.

So were these worth the hype? To be quite honest with you I am still 50/50 if these are worth the price and the hassle of trying to get getting your hands on them. For me, a Kween Kim fan and nude lipstick devotee these are sortaaaa worth it. For the packaging and the colours themselves (as I don't have many peachy nudes), these are a very welcome addition to my collection. However, these shades are not terribly unique and you could probably find some good dupes out there. Overall, they are not terribly amazing either in terms of finish and quality and I definitely wasn't blown away by them. Are they nice? Sure, but not earth shattering. Did I need these? Probably not. But one thing is for certain, they sure are pretty to look at.

Since purchasing these from Kylie's website, Kim has come out with more of her own products and I believe this kit can now only be bought from the KKW Beauty website (though currently sold out). But honestly I can't wait to see what else Kim comes up with. I didn't purchase her contour kit as I don't think I would get much use out of it, but I hear there is a new product/s being launched sometime this month that looks like it may be something a long the lines of a highlighter maybe brows? But let's just say I am damn excited and will probably give in to the hype once again *sigh*

Have you tried the KKW Liquid Creme Lipsticks or even the Contour Kit? What are your thoughts? Let me know in the comments, I would love to know!

Chantalle 

6 comments:

  1. Nice review, love your honesty babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to try these but I'm not sure I would actually like them??
    -Ellie x

    https://elliesomethingx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless you love super pinky nudes I would recommend staying clear from these! But they are so pretty! Thanks for reading Ellie! xx

      Delete
  3. I haven't tried any of these myself (although that packaging is tempting me!) but I am a big fan of the nude lips that Kim always rocks. For me the closest I've found to that that I love is the Kim K.W lipstick from Charlotte Tilbury!

    Julia // The Sunday Mode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The packaging is so luxe and if you love Kim's nude lip I would highly recommend theses!! I really want to try the CT one as well! x

      Delete